Monday 25 June 2018

Who's Afraid Of A Tiny Mouse?

It transpires that it might be me!

One of our ' sheds ' along the side of our house is an old earth cellar, the fridge of yesteryear. As it is at least fifty meters from our front door I have decided to release it from its larder duties and rather changed it into a holding place for wine. A wine cellar of sorts complete with cobwebs, broken windows and heavy old wooden door. A place we've to get stuck in once our decorating ennui decides to return. At the moment we've created a shabby chic place to hold a few wine bottles, beer cans and old jams that all carry the spiders' stamp of approval.

Yes, it is surprisingly cool in it thus the idea about my wines. Yesterday afternoon I realized that I needed to fetch a bottle of red and set off into the twilight. There is no electricity in there and as the windows are mostly covered in mud it was a navigation more from memory than from sight.

I pushed open the cellar door and had my left foot ready to take the step down into it, when I saw a small shape running away after being startled by me. Good grief, talk about who was more startled never mind the courage it took for me to actually fetch this bottle of red. Cobwebs dangling from a dark ceiling, concrete floor almost hidden in the dark and fury little creatures having the run of it.

Secretly I was pleased that I only drink wine which flows from a bottle as a box wine would have ensured a happy set of mice having a drunken get together in our wine cellar.

Clutching my bottle close to me I found myself running back into the house taking furtive glances at the floor beneath and around my feet. I couldn't wait to tell Bob as he might do the gentleman deed of fetching the next bottle, but when he asked;

" Are you sure it wasn't a rat? "
I knew for sure that Bob won't undertake the next trip to our bottle store...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment