Friday 12 October 2018

A Fabulous Day Of Dogs And Cats.

Wonderful animals.

Early this morning as I was walking amid thick fog and about to turn the corner, I heard a series of delighted barks and a voice yelling:

" Johnny, Stop! "
which of course was useless as he had espied me and was galloping toward me as fast as his rheumatic legs would move. I hadn't seen him for a month at least but he bounded at me with such joy that it melted my heart. Once he careered into my legs he couldn't stop yapping his life's story at me whilst twisting and turning excitedly. Dogs, they can melt your heart in an instance. He and his owner joined me for part of my walk and if only you could have seen Johnny's face when they turned around sans me! Precious.

Not long after, when I had driven through to St. Kathrein to organize medicine, well fetch it from the doctor's, I stumbled onto my next encounter. The family I was going to had had a litter of five kittens a few months ago and as I was walking up to their front door, several of these little fellas were reclining lazily on the grass in front of it. As I got closer, all except one scattered. Oh, what a cute kitten. He clearly was the runt of his litter but had received all of the charm and character instead. Stroking him for a minute or so was like therapy. He was purring and I had reverted to baby-kitten language. How could I not...

As I was standing in the queue waiting to collect medication, I noticed a proper slightly dusty Land Rover complete with hunting dog on the back seat pulling into an empty parking space across from the doctors'. That took my mind on a trajectory instantly...how great would it be to go driving about with our dog hanging his head out the window?

Clearly today's been a day of animals and it reminded me of what unconditional love really is. Animals, angels on earth...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment