Sunday 4 November 2012

Family, The Most Important Thing In The World.

Often we don't realize it.

Family are the people in our life, that know us and therefore can and do sometimes push our buttons. That is for me the most ironic thing, it is mostly people who love us that have the key to push our buttons !

We all have different visions of what the perfect family should be like. What is fantastic for one, is questionable for the other. Comes down to the fact that we like what we know and are comfortable with. Often in my life, I have had glimpses into other family life and kind of wondered how they function ? Not realizing that they thought exactly the same...

Everywhere you look we can find different versions of a " perfect family ". Hollywood has plenty
( my favourite at the moment is the " Everybody loves Raymond " one ) of categories and we can almost choose the one that we would want. In fiction there is an even more prolific choice. The nice thing about fiction is that you can even go back centuries and embrace a family model from that time. Who can forget Elizabeth Bennett and her Mother, from " Pride and Prejudice ".

Having lived far apart from my family for most of my adult life so far, I now relish being with them. Family does not have to be set up in any specific way, you know the ways that Hollywood or Fiction depict it. Family is just great, however it is. Spending time with family, by that I mean being in the same locale, is priceless for me.

Naturally parents tend to sometimes forget that we are grownups and tell us things, that they told us when we were growing up ( in my case obviously not enough times, as I am still guilty of not doing them ). Hands up, whose Mum still says one of the following things to you ?

  • Make sure the bathroom is always clean.
  • Why haven't you done the dishes ?
  • Did I show you how to clean windows ?

You know having family who care enough to tell you the truth is super. Of course it gets back to the thing about pushing your buttons. The way I see it, when people love you enough to tell you what they think about slightly questionable things you do ( as only parents know how to ), you know that life is perfect....because you have family !

Biggi

P/S: A few of my readers have written comments to me. Unfortunately the Blogger program has classified them as " questionable ". So I can not reply to them. Should they really have been genuine, I apologise about not responding and thank you for the wonderful comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment