Tuesday 23 January 2018

That Awkward Moment When You Not Sure If You Know Someone!

Supermarket stalking...

Doesn't it usually happen at the supermarket while pondering and eventually weighing vegetables? By the by, here we weigh our own vegetables and pack our groceries too. None of this luxury of having it done for you. Had some rather embarrassing moments when we first arrived where the cashier had to disappear for minutes on end to weigh our vegetables which made us ever so popular with the queue behind.

Yesterday I had already had an encounter with a friend next to the potatoes and we had a nice long chat and exchange of news and it being a supermarket we kept bumping into each other at the oddest of moments...ah, we are what we buy... But, as I was considering the difficult task of deciding on which milk to buy I turned to stare into the distance to think it through when I saw a women at the fruit counter who sort of looked familiar.

Either my glasses were a year too old or the sunlight gave her a mistaken halo or it was the change of hairstyle...you know that moment when you can't pretend not to have noticed but you can't stare for too long either? Honestly, I looked like a stalker trying to see if it was her or not. She somehow never turned ( so maybe she knew it was me...oh how the plot thickens ) so eventually I carried on shopping my way through the cheese isle.

As luck would have it, I dithered a tad longer than I should have because the lady in question was suddenly at my elbow. Now that I think of it, she ignored me until I turned and greeted her.

" Oh hi, I thought it was you. Your hair looks different so I didn't recognize you at first. "
Anyway, she didn't hover much longer than to grab her joghurt, exchange a cursory hello and then disappear into the cereal isle, which makes me wonder if I was being evaded all along and could have saved myself the bother of looking like an idiot.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment