Monday 3 December 2018

Rescuing A Bunch Of Zucchinis.

Many more missions were those came from.

Most of us want to be surrounded by prettiness, be pretty and eat only pretty looking food, but at what cost? How many perfectly good vegetables have landed up as landfill due to their misshapen appearance?

Well, this morning I went to our local shop to pick up some post and got sidetracked by the vegetable isle as the bread one was bereft of goods. One might assume that Monday mornings everyone stocks up on bread and its cousins.

There is just something about vegetables that I love. Cooked, raw or shredded is fine by me. Lately zucchinis are my favourite ingredient for a soup. Nothing better than a creamy zucchini soup! ( I fry onions with a bit of ginger, add salt, two or three chopped zucchinis and ample water. Let it boil for ten minutes and then I puree it. ) So there I was perusing the offerings of vegetables when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a net of zucchinis marked down by 50 %.

Not often I see those mark downs and honestly, I did wonder what was wrong with them or if they were still edible...the net consisted of six baby marrows with two of them not edible. But I thought that four at half price were a great deal and more importantly, they weren't going to be thrown out at the end of the day.

The shop assistant didn't quite know how to take my mumblings of:

" At least I've saved this bunch. "
granted, it does sound a bit out there but is it really odd to try and save perfectly good food from becoming landfill?

Wouldn't it be a great idea to give us shoppers the choice with regards to misshapen vegetables? Put everything on the shelves and I tend to hope that many would buy the less attractive one even if only for their marked down price...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment