Wednesday 14 August 2019

Early Morning Encounters.

A rainy start to the day.

It was one of those mornings that didn't lend itself for walking but, bits of rain are just that, rain. That is what raincoats are for and with that in mind I set off nice and early. Rather a pleasure actually as it was pleasantly cool and the greens were back en masse. The muddy colour of dryness has almost been trumped. Great for our farmers, great for our gardens.

It was halfway through my route that I encountered a stranger. Well, a stranger I think because he was equipped with tripod and professional camera and more importantly, prepared to be out and about with rain sprinkling away.

As I walked toward him and his parked car my mind went through a liturgy of thoughts, starting with whether he was a danger to me or not. No one else about and forests galore. Of course the minute I came up to his parked car I realized that he was far from a threat. Would a nefarious stranger be seen driving a small electrical car, a car sharing one to boot?

I gave him a friendly greeting and he responded in kind. He had grown out long curly hair, was wearing shorts and sporting flip flops. That was definitely a man of the same ilk as Bob and I. Heck, in my mind I even pictured him being a vegan.

As I walked past him I was intrigued to say the least. A professional photographer out and about on a rainy Burgenland morning? Are we about to be featured in National Geographic or was he merely enjoying a leisurely morning and creating a celluloid reminder of it?

Anyway, I carried on and forgot about him only to stumble upon him and his dinky car once more a bit further along the Deutsch Schüzen vineyard. We exchanged a more relaxed wave and that was the gist of our encounter. But, isn't it amazing how our minds profile as prolific as any detective and sum people up without ever having spoken to them? Makes me wonder how people have profiled me...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment