Friday 20 March 2020

A Masked Shopping Experience.

Quite a daunting excursion.

I headed off to the nearest Spar due to our need of Tofu and such although, not having Tofu won't do us any harm either. Our news channels have been full of advice, reports and safe practices when it comes to shopping, so that I set off with a good feeling. Although I did take a mouth and nose guard, one that I tend to wear walking during icy winter and which fits stylishly around my neck and can be pulled up and down over half my face with relative ease.

In a way I shouldn't have been surprised when I got to the Spar and saw the car park filled almost to capacity and not a line outside in sight. Oh no, they were all inside at the same time. On entering the shop I almost walked into a supermarket which was being used by shoppers as though last week hadn't happened. Instantly I pulled up my shield and goodness me, being the only one with it I did get the weirdest of looks, but nonetheless people moved aside if only because I reminded them of how dangerous the times are.

Breathing through this impromptu mask was jolly difficult and each time I had oodles of space to myself I dropped it round my neck. My regard for all those supermarket workers has increased tremendously. Dealing with all of us folks drooling about without any masks day in day out eight hours on the trot. As one tv presenter said today;

" Supermarket staff never took a Hippocratic oath yet they are on the front lines of this corona war possibly risking their lives. They need our utmost thanks and a 15th paycheck at least. "

Perhaps this new reality hasn't set in for many people and the mundane chore of doing shopping is their one time-out from the scariest situation they have ever faced. On the bright side, I was pleased to see that all those immune boosting fruits and vegetables were much cheaper than normal...Food might be one of the greatest weapons in this confrontation...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment