Monday 30 March 2020

Zorro Goes Shopping.

The law of the mask.

This morning I headed out to Güssing so that I could get some vegan products at the bigger supermarket there. I think I was there just after nine and already, despite only the supermarkets and pharmacies being open, it was rather busy. Not something one likes in these times.

My new must have is a neck and face warmer, which fits nicely around my neck but can be pulled over my face up to the nose in order to keep it warm, but as you might have guessed, it has now become my barrier between me and the little corona buggers. Complete with sunglasses one would be forgiven to mistake me for a robber of sorts.

Only last Saturday, a young family wanting to go to our local shop, stopped in their tracks when they spotted me approaching and left me miles of space to go ahead. Earlier today Bob still issued instructions on how I should handle the shopping trolley! Funnily enough, I now travel with a small glass container of 'cleaning alcohol ' and bits of toilet paper in order to sanitize car parts and as of this morning, trolley handles.

It takes guts to stand there, masked and gloved to the hilt ( today I sported fetching petal patterned garden gloves ) whilst wiping an alcohol laden bit of loo paper over the trolley handle. Odd looks came my way except for one funky lady ( she too was clad in a mask of Zorro, a pink one ) who instead of raising her eyebrows, whipped out her own sanitizing concoction and spritzed it over my trolley handle...just for good measure. Ha, I am not alone. Shockingly though, during the whole time I was shopping I only encountered a handful of fellow maskers.

Well, our national leaders, Chancellor Kurz and co held a press conference later in the day and yipee, they announced that from Wednesday forward everyone entering a supermarket needs to be masked. Plain and simple. No debate and about time too judging from how most shoppers seemed oblivious to this particular containment measure.

Bravo to our government for being so ahead of the curve.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment