Saturday 16 January 2021

A Growing Sign Of Trust.

 Small steps, major accomplishment.


Late afternoons are when I feed my two feline fighters outside. Can't forget as they make a point of parading outside our kitchen window and on those days that I run late, they put on a show of fighting like cats and dogs. A screech that I hope the neighbours won't blame us for.

A certain routine has evolved which tends to be important to them. Both cats revere in my system and know which bowl to eat from. Accompanied by a lot of meouiwing the whole feeding process takes less than a minute. Dish out here and over there while both boys shy away. As I often tell them; do they really think that the person that feeds them is going to hurt them? Dilly lot.

The older of the two has a hoarse voice and only squawks and squeaks in his anticipation of dinner but at the same time jumps over his own shadow when I get too close. That is until this afternoon. He must have been very hungry ( although yesterday I found out that my friend down the road feeds him twice a day too ) because before I had finished dishing everything from the can, he was next to me eating. Still keeping a beady eye on me but eating.

 In euphoric pleasure I haltingly put my fingertip over his back to give him a friendly hello but that freaked him out to such an extend that he hid under the car. But not for long as the lure of his dinner proved to much. He inched forward, throwing me the odd look of warning until he was at the food bowl and next to my feet.

Wow, he ate, I was pleased as punch at this newfound trust and stood as still as can be for him to get used to me whilst talking up a nonsensical storm. Cats have their own time frame and leisurely way of getting to know us. He is rather old and I hope this new trust isn't a sign that his time has come. Regardless, I hope that soon I will be able to give him a cuddle and  piece of mind knowing that humans are kind people too.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment