Sunday 31 January 2021

Vegetarian Isn't Vegan.

Sometimes it would make more sense to just serve vegan.


Being vegan one gets used to going out to go without. Restaurants are slowly changing and adapting but  raised eyebrows and odd looks are part and parcel of going out to eat. That's fine with me as I prefer to cook myself and forgo that particular hassle.

As it is my choice to live the vegan way I don't expect any special treatment or considerations. I am quite happy with a boiled potato, slices of bread and the odd lettuce assembly knowing full and well that at home I eat a balanced and exciting whole food plant based vegan diet.

At the moment most of the local restaurants and Buschenschanks are advertising a new form of take-away food. Click and collect. Hopefully that will help them over the financial drought and also lets people have at least a feel of life beyond corona.

What I find silly though is that restaurants ( even the top ones ) put a few vegetarian dishes on the menu clearly not thinking about the new phenomenon in the culinary department-veganism! A moment ago I read about a veggie-burger and was almost tempted to order it until I clicked on the detail.  It began with good bits such as chickpeas, carrots and yellow beet but sadly fell into they usual trap of adding goat's cheese and cheddar to make it more artsy and to their mind tasty. There goes the vegan contingent with their euros. 

Wouldn't it be easier to create a vegan burger which both vegans and vegetarians can enjoy? There are a lot of vegans living in our neck of the woods and for those vegetarians who aren't vegan, it won't kill them to forgo a portion of cheese now and again. Vegans have a lot of spending power and especially in these precarious times restaurants should go with the times and adjust to a changing clientele.

The irony is that almost all those restaurants who were brave enough to make a big part of their menu ( if not all ) vegan, have grown their business and profit. I live in hope that soon those young guns of our local culinary scene will awaken to the joy of veganism be it for the money, environment or health aspect.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment