Thursday 28 November 2019

When Your Husband Cooks, Go To Another Room.

Learning to be quiet...

How often do we yearn to drop tools for a few meals at least and let the men of the house take over. Yes, let them cook meals and see how much effort it takes...or doesn't. A dream come true when husband announces that he will make a soup, curry or batch of biscuits.

One would think that, wouldn't one? Well, Bob decided earlier to make a batch of vegetable soup. One he has made a few times and one that always tasted top notch and this one did too. But the fly in the ointment was that I was sitting at the kitchen table working on the computer while he was slicing and dicing a mere meter behind me.

It was the slicing and dicing that made me commit the ultimate no-no. The sound of anything being cut on the wooden board is almost ingrained in us so it was with some surprise that I heard the process of cutting taking place atop one of our dinner plates and with our bread knife too!

Oh, I shouldn't have said anything, but in the heat of the moment I jumped up and fetched the wooden board and an even sharper knife ( Bob likes our bread knife for some reason ). Naturally, the whole process was accompanied a few words of eh, wifely wisdom!

Well, I know now not to interfere and quite right he was for telling me off. Instead of being happy to have some time out, I was busy trying to shoo a fledgling and perhaps more than part time chef out of the kitchen with my nagging. How stupid can one get? But, I venture to bet that I am not the only wife trying to give helpful hints ( ie. orders of how we want things done ) to an overwhelmed husband. Suffice to say, that from now on I will sit in another room, put in earplugs and sweetly await whatever Bob has created in the kitchen...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment