Thursday 7 May 2020

Hitching My Trailer....

A mother's confidence is not to be underestimated!

The last few days of intermittent rain were lovely but it has turbo charged the growth of grass. Ours doesn't matter that much ( imagine, the other day our new neighbour dropped by and literally enthused about the romantically wild state of our back lawn, even going so far as to ask us not to cut or neaten because of them...double entendre? ) until Bob puts his foot down! But, the folk's lawn was again in need of trimming and understandably so as they do live on main street.

Mowing it hardly takes time at all ( luckily I finished today's mowing with a minute to spare before everyone's lunchtime, when it is frowned upon to make a noise ) so that was part of my to-do list for today. After sorting out a bout of shopping this morning I exchanged the parental shopping bag ( still on corona shopping lock-down ) with mum atop one of the vineyards where they were sorting out vines, but keeping ample distance and wearing a mask. Hopefully I managed to get everything on their shopping list!

Well, mum reminded me about their lawn and offered to come and help me hitch the trailer because she thought I wasn't up to the task. Usually Bob does the trailer hooking making it look as easy as 1-2-3. Last season I did most of the lawns on my own including hooking up the trailer which for some reason mum had forgotten...

" Mamma, what do you think of me? Of course I can hitch it on my own!!! "

" No, it is too heavy and difficult for you to do on your own. "
Yikes, what must mum think of me...never mind that she is at least a head shorter than me and also much slighter. Even though I wasn't too sure if I could hook it up by myself especially since Bob left the lawnmower atop of it the last time we used it, I drove home more determined than ever.

Granted, it wasn't easy to pull the loaded trailer out the garage and manoever it so that I could hook it onto the tow hitch, but manage I did. Mum was surprised to say the least when she heard me mowing outside their front door later on and did manage to look a bit sheepish. Never underestimate your child...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment