Wednesday 2 September 2020

Another Funeral Is Had.

Unfortunately it has been a busy season.

Coming back from my walk I heard what was clearly a conversation between women somewhere along the street. Oddly enough I didn't see anyone and just assumed that my antenna had picked up a conversation from someone's lounge. Happens more often than not as most of the houses are build close to the road. A few moments later I saw the source...a couple of older ladies, neighbours, where walking down the road dressed in black. Yes, clearly on the way to a funeral.

As I walked past, one of the ladies hurriedly turned back towards her house because she had forgotten her mask. Yeah, at least masks are worn. A few steps later I saw her doubling over. Yikes, thinking that she was hurt I rushed to help but it only turned out to be a missing coin. While looking for her house key, she had dropped the coin in her hand and at a certain age one doesn't kneel on the ground to look for stuff but bends over at the waist.

A most important coin as halfway through any service a church elder walks around with the collection basket and everyone's ear is tuned to the sound of coins dropping upon other coins! Believe me, I have at times forgotten to bring some coins and have felt the weight of raised eyebrows. The two of us tried to find the missing euro but to no avail. Thankfully it was just a dropped coin and nothing more serious. One never knows.

Isn't it ironic that funerals are places to meet friends and family? A place to get together obviously to pay homage to the person departed but also a place to remember those convergence points where your life had crossed theirs. Funerals are great reminders of the fragility of life and even though we all feel invincible, we really aren't.

The local priest usually ends his prayer at the grave site with a blessing for the next person among the mourners to knock on heaven's door. Markab, isn't it? The first time I heard it I nearly had a heart attack...nice way to put the fear of god into your parishioners and make sure the pews are filled. Every time I go to a local funeral I make sure to blend out this final priestly message.

Funerals despite their sad meaning are surprisingly life affirming for the ones who attend. Many a vow to enjoy life and slow down the madness of a hectic life are made and hopefully upheld.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment