Friday 4 September 2020

Choosy Chickens.

Cabbage anyone?

This morning a whole stack of wood was on the cards. Four cubic meters of chopped wood
( I hope I got that right ) was delivered. Well, they were actually dumped unceremoniously in the middle of my parents' yard and thus I was headed there to help stack them. A yearly event although I am still not brave enough to attempt the actual stacking. How on earth does my mum stack them so perfectly when each and every piece of wood has a different dimension? Much better for me to be the gofer!

My parent's neighbour is the owner of a troupe of chickens and often mum pops over vegetable peels etc. An almost whole head of cabbage has been whiling its fate away in our fridge for almost two weeks now - somehow the right moment to use it never came up - and had morphed to that tangy phase. Best to give away and the chickens seemed a perfect choice. No waste and no guilt...or so I thought!

Cunningly I had cut the cabbage into pieces before handing it over to my folks to give to the chickens. A whole head of cabbage wouldn't have looked good. Kind of wasteful...better to disguise it as a treat for the chicks. Little did I know that contrary to popular opinion, Chickens are choosy creatures.

" Oh, the only food those chickens won't eat is cabbage! "
Just my luck! A friend was sitting at the table listening to the cabbage-chicken saga when he suggested to use the cabbage for a salad and to add more vinegar to disguise any ripeness. Thank goodness I had the forethought of chopping it up roughly before as there was no way it could be made into a delicate salad.

Who knew that chickens could be so choosy? Goodness me, what next? Well, at least there is an alternative use for my head of cabbage...mum's compost pile along the fence, which will ensure that at least the whiff of decomposing cabbage will drift into our choosy chickens' nostrils.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment