Friday 25 September 2020

Grocery Delivery, The New Social.

A way to keep in touch.


Corona measures  mean so many changes and one is the lack of social gatherings. It is what it is and one has to just get on with it. On some level it is a good refresher of the basics of life and what really is important. Not stuff, now is it?

Anyway, since the middle of March I have been driving about doing grocery deliveries for our local shop. Mainly to those who need to protect themselves from the public, those who don't drive and those who enjoy a more leisurely approach to shopping. Not everyone is willing and able to shop online, and this sort of seems the perfect balance between going to the shop and shopping online. At least I think so.

Through the months I have got my ' regulars ' who like clockwork order on specific days and usually the same lot of groceries. (  The shop packs it in open boxes so I honestly can't help but look ) Fridays usually means three deliveries in the afternoon and each and every one is a treat for me. 

Those few moments, during the hot summer months never more than a few minutes as my car isn't air-conditioned, taken to ask how they are, how their live is and what's new in it are priceless. Often I wonder if those few people I do deliver to actually enjoy having someone to talk to and caring about their day and them? Hopefully I bring a bit of brightness into their day.

Isn't it always those seemingly casual interchanges that make one's day? This morning while waiting at the bank I ran into several people I know and had a little chat with each of them. Nothing earth-shattering but merely those mundane odds and ends which make up  conversations. Health, family and work...and just like that one can learn what makes other people tick.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment