Thursday 17 June 2021

Watering Flowers, Feeding The Soul.

 A week of nice encounters.


I know that at times I grumble about my two weeks of flower watering duty, but I rather enjoy it. Gosh, Thursday already which means my first week is almost done and so far hardly any flowers have met their maker!

My mornings are becoming quite structured and busy. First Mr Maxi gets his walk. An excited stint around the block with stops for business, sniffs and territorial business card drops. Not sure whether he would wait for me to water all the flowerbeds and containers while tied to a tree. Maybe for my second week in August he might be comfortable enough to watch his new mummy tend to the village greens!

So, after his walk I feed him his breakfast and head off in the same direction again in order to water the flowers. It isn't a lot of work, just has to be done daily. Kind of meditative for me and whilst I wait for the watering cans to be filled with water I look around me and marvel at how lucky I am to be here. 

It didn't take long this morning before the first person came along and stopped to chat. Flower duty is a good conversation opener and as the flower beds are close to the local graveyard, today's conversation revolved around it. The woman prefaced most bits with a bit of negativity so I couldn't help but say;

      " You know, I am thankful to be here because so many didn't get the chance. "

She at first was a bit confused but then realized what I meant and as it sank in, her stance and attitude changed. Yes, we are lucky to be here and even she agreed that lately the church bells have been ringing in the dead rather too often.

Off she went to do her thing and within minutes the next one came along. A man and his dog. They specially came over to speak to me, the dog couldn't be more excited to see me and by luck I had some leftover doggy treats to give her. We chatted about Maxi ( everyone knows his name  and how he ended up with us ) and the best way to circumvent two annoying fence barkers along our route.

Those conversation weren't long, and weren't about anything important but that's just what makes them important. They form bonds and give a feeling of belonging to the village and to the human race...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment