Monday 25 October 2021

The Lure Of A Public Holiday.

 Monday, the same but not quite.


Thank goodness Bob told me last night that tomorrow, Tuesday, is a public holiday. National Day, a celebration of Austria and its independence. The flags will be out everywhere, mostly hanging out of windows and from balconies. 

The nice bit about a public holiday in Austria is that all shops are closed. Pure and simple, no exception. Forget about shopping centers luring bored customers to graze through their offerings. Gosh, how much madness used to ensue in South Africa on public holidays. Shopping centers were full and for some odd reason people used to spend more money than they would have on any other day. Never mind that shopping centers there are open 7 days per week.

Well, as it dawned on me that Tuesday wouldn't be a day to get stuff, I had to go today. It was only a few bits and pieces I needed, foremost bread and lunch stuff. Luckily I had another four of those 25% off stickers and used them all this morning. As one could foresee, the supermarket was hectically busy.

The bit about needing bread got me thinking about making our own again. I used to be so good at making it every other day, but for some reason stopped baking it. Well, today is the day and as I write to you magical aromas of bread baking in the oven are wafting all over the house. 

As I made the dough, I again realized how darn easy it is to make a loaf of bread, not to mention cheaper. So, when Bob comes home later on he will be greeted by the smell of freshly baked bread and I have made sure that we have enough of that nice vegan butter, because let's face it, freshly baked bread tasted exponentially better with generous dollops of butter garnishing it.

Will it survive this public holiday? Who knows  but just in case I bought enough flour and yeast to make another loaf...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment