Monday 31 January 2022

A Smoke Filled Sunday.

 The plot or rather the air thickens.


I was on video call with my dad when out of the corner of my eye I noticed the air getting hazy. The oven had just started its session and the odd smell of smoke often tags along but yesterday was a lot more. Bob hadn't noticed yet as he was immersed into his video game but got a huge fright when I screeched that we had smoke in the lounge.

Yesterday was a stormy day. It was windy, so much so that the walls were shaking and the windows quivering at odd moments. Never mind the eery howling noise a strong wind can make. There was our culprit. The wind had forced a downward pressure into the chimney and smoke would have to fight hard to counter it. Up until now we never had that problem so we were worried.

Both of us were running around like crazy trying to sort it out. Windows were opened, shouting done! I hastened outside to try and find the used tube of heat sealant in order to reseal the area around the kitchen stove's pipe. Naturally I found nothing!

In the meantime Bob was warding stations inside the kitchen and when I came back inside he told me not to worry, as he had found the cause.

The oven door was open. Our little old aga has one small door, the one that could be used for putting cakes and roasts in which of course the two of us use for storage of forbidden goods...chips, chocolates etc! And there was the problem. Earlier on Bob had taken a bag of chips out of this door and had forgotten to close it again. The smoke happily escaped this way as opposed to fighting its way up the chimney.

The door got closed and worries  soothed. Windows had to still be open to air our house which wasn't much fun in these cold times. At the end of the day we were both extremely happy that it wasn't any major problem. I tell you what, this episode again made me realize how important a good oven is and what a privilege it is to have a warm house.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment