Friday 7 January 2022

The Humble Yet Yummy Potato.

Versatile and inexpensive.


Who doesn't also have potatoes in their larder and not an idea how to use them? Often it is too tempting to buy the 5 kg bag of tats as it is much cheaper than the 2 kg one yet, is it really a good deal? Most of the time there are at least a handful of potatoes in my vegetable basket whiling their fate away. Be it the heat of a pot or the shrivelling of the skin.

So, today was the perfect day to make amends. It was bitterly cold this morning and while I did a round of deliveries, Bob decided to work in the vineyard. Yikes, it was cold but he loves working among vines and who am I to say no to a guaranteed supply of vino?

After my deliveries I headed to the vineyard to pick him up and all the while I thought of lunches to make in order to warm him up. A soup had to be it but I didn't have the usual soup suspects in the larder. But, suddenly it hit me, there were oodles of odd potatoes lounging about and they would be perfect for a soup.

And indeed they were. I chopped up an onion, a glove of garlic, four of the potatoes, a lone carrot and a cup full of recently cooked chickpeas along with half of their cooking water. Mum told me that this chickpea stock has a lot of protein in it. Well, I tried it and the whole ensemble was delicious. Bob loved it. To season I added salt, pepper and chilly and to stretch it a glass of soy milk. The soup was absolutely divine. Smooth and morish.

There are so many ways of cooking on the cheap. So many ways of saving the food from being thrown away unused and so many ways to eat vegan. A potato soup doesn't sound like much but actually it is. There is just something special about potatoes and their creamy taste and texture and the way it makes us forget our woes for a few moments. Why else is half the world addicted to chips and french fries?

Biggi 

No comments:

Post a Comment