Sunday 5 October 2014

The Stubborn Braying Of The Local Donkey.

A church cloaked in fog precedes my discovery of the donkey.

They knew back in the day how to build a church. Never mind that they built it in such a locale that wherever one goes, you can see it. In fact there is no escape from it and the guilt alone might make you go.

Honestly, even though I don't go often ( only on the high days ) I love being in a church. An older church and a Catholic one. Somehow they have such divine artwork in them that is truly awe inspiring.

Doesn't each older church boast its own mini-Sistine ceiling? Just being at a service takes a lot of will power to attend to it, because when you see the story and glory depicted on the walls and ceilings of a church, your mind can easily stray into centuries past.

Isn't there a feeling of mystique and untold history in this picture of our local church? If the church walls could talk...a place of refuge, goodness, forgiveness, lecturing, and a place for ones transgressions to be absolved?

Anyway, about ten minutes after I took this photo, I was walking along Dorfstrasse ( within spitting distance of home ) and couldn't mistake the braying of the donkey. I have heard him
( how can one tell? ) announcing his presence often in the past. The " hee-haw " normally accompanying me the whole road.

To date I have never seen the donkey but I was in luck yesterday. The picture was taken from about 50 meters away, yet he seemed to know I was taking it, because he put his best hoof forward and stopped braying for a bit.

How on earth would I get from the topic of the stubborn donkey to Bob? Good gracious me, husbands are never ever stubborn...or are they? Anyway, I was on Skype with my Dad yesterday and in ran Bob. He had been at his friends house down the road helping him with something
( best way to open a bottle of beer? ).

" Quick, bring your camera and take a few pictures of me. Herbert is taking us in his tractor. "
that was the magic word, because my man on a tractor was something I had to see. Herbert was driving his tractor with Johannes and Bob riding pillion. Bob was grinning from ear to ear. Driving a tractor, even if only by proxy, was and is every boy's dream!

Last seen heading into the woods...Oh, you can just see how much fun he was having.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment