Saturday 18 January 2020

A Treasure Chest Indeed.

Schatzgrube leads the way.

As you know I am a huge fan of second hand shops. Granted, only recently but better late than never. A few moments ago I saw a notice about an amazing

Repair & Mend Coffee Club meeting
having taken place this morning at the Schatzgrube in Grosspetersdorf. Brilliant, an initiative to stop people buying new items just because their old ones needed repairing or mending. A lost art. Funny, I even wondered if I still know how to sew a button onto Bob's blazer! Yes, I think I might still remember.

We live in a culture of rather replacing either due to laziness or frankly, because everything can be bought so cheaply. But, as we are starting to find out, too much stuff isn't good for our planet. Landfills are overflowing all over the world with perfectly good stuff that might only need a new wire, be darned or have the proverbial button sewed on.

At times I get a bit down when I see people living as usual without a care in the world for our future, but seeing this new initiative happening just down the road fills me with hope and a feeling of being able to stop this madness one toaster, coffee machine or sock at a time.
Bravo, Schatzgrube, we'll be there at the next repair & mend...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment