Thursday 9 January 2020

A Vegan Paradox Perhaps?

Interesting times...

A big neighbourhood tree was being chopped down and of course I noticed when I returned from my morning walk. In our village, seeing anything being changed, chopped or planted constitutes an invitation for a chat, especially since the chopper was already talking to his next door neighbour.

The row of houses really look bare and bereft now but what's done is done. So, the three of us were shooting the proverbial village breeze - and believe me, the tree was hardly mentioned in our conversation - stumbling on bad neigbhours, illegal labour and the horror of the fires in Australia. Yes, we a traditional conversation without any smartphone distractions; a rarity nowadays!

Australia made my mind connect with conservation of nature ( water in particular ) and thus I mentioned being vegan. By now it is no longer a secret that the production of a piece of meat uses up astronomical amounts of water, a commodity that is lacking in many parts of the world.

Within moments, one of the people I was talking with mentioned that he had only yesterday prepared two rabbits to be eaten. Honestly, if I hadn't stopped him he would more than likely have gone into gory details of how a rabbit is killed and skinned.

One fact I have noticed since going vegan is that as soon as I mention our vegan life choice, stories are retold ranging from the benign medium rare fillet steak eaten to the killing of a rabbit. I get it. Veganism and the thought of having to change one's status quo in regards to food scares many folks but, you don't get me describing huge bowls of salad, big fruit smoothies and homemade hummus the minute you tell me that you are a carnivore....or do I?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment