Friday 5 February 2021

Looking For Whiskey.

 Again about a cat.


It was yesterday that I saw the notice that a cat has eloped from home. In Badersdorf and missing for a day. A boy who strangely reminded me of our Maus. Those notices are the worst. A domestic cat gone missing in the midst of winter alone in a huge forest dodging cold, foxes and boars makes any cat owner swallow hard and imagine the worst.

Most of the night I tossed and turned imagining that young cat roaming about in fear and looking for home and his parents. The village it got lost from is almost next to ours and we are only really separated by a huge forest. A plan was hatched. A walk was changed and hope was fanned.

This morning I equipped myself with a cat treat ( in case I had to create a lure ) and set off along the forest's edge. The weather was cold but sunny and the view good. From the word go I walked and talked. Yes, every few steps I would shout out loud;

                                       " Whiskey, Whiskey..."

A crazy cat lady, that's me. Honestly, what chance was there to find this kitty and no, I didn't find it, but I looked and when I did meet up with other walkers I made sure to tell them about this missing Whiskey. On one level I knew that there wasn't a chance to find him but then on another level I couldn't not look for him. What if it would have been our little cat? Gosh, I would hope that others would also go out of their way to look for her.

It is early days yet regarding Whiskey. There should be lots of warm hiding places in and among the stacks of wooden logs and tasty mice are most prolific in forests after all. More than likely my new route in the foreseeable future will be this forest one and I will keep shouting for Whiskey. Hope springs eternal.

Biggi


No comments:

Post a Comment