Wednesday 17 February 2021

Winter And Corona.

The stumbling block of warmth.


Yesterday morning I had to go and fetch a form at our local doctor's office and as is usual, a smallish wait ensued. Not as long as pre-corona but still a longish one when one wants to evade a lengthy exposure to others.

Actually, there weren't many others but as we all know, it only takes the one!. Only two in front of me and despite all of us keeping our two meter distance we managed to exchange pleasantries. One woman had been to China for a stint ( remember hearing someone tell me about that ) and I asked her whether she cooked a lot of stir-fries. Gosh, she was so surprised and pleased at being asked about China and her cooking habits that it reminded me how uninterested most are to the nuances and more interesting aspects of others.

Finding out about the life path of people is just so fascinating that it baffles me when I notice a lack of interest. To this day, almost ten years of having lived here, nobody has asked Bob or me how our lives in South Africa unfolded. You know, our likes, dislikes, career paths, living spaces and so forth...

But I digress. As I was unearthing the cooking habits of a fellow villager, I purposely left the door open behind me. Gosh, the waiting room is small and heated, perfect for corona to linger. Not saying that it was, but it could have been. Two minutes after taking up my place inside the front door awaiting my turn, a loud voice boomed across at me;

                        " Close the door. It's cold out there! "

Our little microcosm of a waiting room more than likely mirrored a gazillion lounges, waiting rooms and train compartments the world over. Winter, most definitely  corona's best friend. 

As for me, despite voicing my opinion of it being healthier to have the door open, I gave in to the lady in question. Better to avoid arguments in a small village and luckily I was seen to by the receptionist.
It just goes to show that the best way to keep out of  corona's path is to mingle as little as possible and of course to wear masks and keep a long distance...

Biggi 

No comments:

Post a Comment