Wednesday 22 September 2021

It's Time To Prepare Bob's Vegan Lunch & Dinner Boxes Again.

 The harvest, thankfully again.


Not that it constitutes a lot of work compared to Bob doing harvesting, but somehow getting the balance and details of his daily meals right isn't as easy as one thinks. Still have to make sure that Bob's diabetes stays dormant and that he has all the essential energy foods he needs.

Lunches are easy and I have been preparing them the vegan way for over three years now. The next few weeks of dinners are posing a slight hurdle. The rest of the team are meat lovers and the boss's wife has it easy making their dinners. Yes, during harvest the crew gets dinner at work due to the fact that they work 14-16 hour days. 

From the beginning of our vegan journey I have cooked a double supper in order to box it up for Bob the following day. Usually he puts the Tupperware into the staff room fridge in the morning and when it gets close to dinner time, the boss's wife heats up whatever I sent along. 

Of course I like to make a vegan impression because I know that everyone is taking a keen interest at what Bob eats. It always amuses me when Bob tells me little tidbits. First off, most of Bob's work mates are vehemently anti-vegan. God forbid that they don't have an animal on their plate three times a day...

But here is the funny bit. For example the other day I made Bob sandwiches with a vegan type of goat cheese. Delicious and if one didn't know, one wouldn't guess it was vegan. One of his mates tasted a bit of the cheese ( ah, they must have looked closely at his sandwich because the cheese was mingling with a hefty dose of blueberry jam ) and loved it, only to worry if it was made of soy. Yes, the falsely based fear of soy continues unfettered and unchecked. Easy to look up studies on the benefits of soy consumption.

Making broccoli for his dinner isn't that great either because we all know what aroma wafts out when the lid of the Tupperware is lifted! Usually I resort to lentil curries or vegetable pastas. Easy to heat up, and hearty to replenish lost energy. Of course everyone at Bob's work thinks that all I can cook is a pot of curry and a dish of pasta. Pretty sure they are pitying him while secretly being envious of how well he looks and feels since eating vegan. I dream of the day when all his workmates eat vegan for the duration of the harvest, and state the inevitable:

        " Jeez, I feel so good that I wish I had done this sooner. "

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment