Thursday 17 February 2022

My Feline Bodyguard.

An early morning excursion.


Maxi and I headed out before sunup but thankfully the lingering halo of the full moon cast enough light to walk comfortably down the darkened neighbourhood. Just in case I had a torch with me.

Maxi was doing the usual hovering in the beginning and that is why I heard the soft voiced arrival of Parsley, our domesticated feral lodger. A mix between a meow and a throaty moan. He who is bigger than Maxi and he who has a heart of gold. Enough time for a quick cuddle before Maxi ran along. Normally Parsley accompanies us for a few meters before heading back to our front steps but this morning he toddled along.

Each time Maxi stopped to either lift a leg, stare at the sky or whiff at the calling cards of his rivals, I looked back and there the cat was not far behind. Sort of slinking along until he saw me look back at him. Gosh, then he upped his peculiar meow along a quick sprinted  gallop towards us. Too cute.

Maxi seems to also have gotten used to having a cat along for our walk. At times he stops, turns his head sideways ( the good eye side ) to look for Parsley and once he hops along bumping gently into him, he carries on. Comforted.

Today was the first time this lovely cat followed us almost all the way to the main road. I got worried in case it would get lost or even worse, head into an oncoming car. No, that wouldn't do. Maxi and I changed our route and turned around walking Parsley safely home.

Along the way Maxi suddenly barked madly at a tree and only when I shushed him enough and wanted to carry on the walk did I see another cat hiding under the low hanging branches of a fir tree. All I saw were big eyes and a small white face. Gosh, Maxi despite being half blind has his instincts honed to perfection.

There is something so special being witness to the unfolding character of a pet. To some a cat is a tool to keep the yard rodent free and to others it is an affirmation that all beings have intellect, feelings and a unique personality.  Seeing the various personalities of all of our pets makes me so glad that I don't eat animal products anymore. Just as Parsley, Maus and Maxi are unique, clever, cheeky, loving, funny and adoring, so too are pigs, cows and chickens!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment