Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Wonderful Lure Of Pesto.

A Hausfrau's best friend.


Pesto; sounds exotic, sounds Italian and of course evokes images of dining al fresco somewhere in the romantic hinterland of Italy. Stuff of movies really.

Pesto has a fabulous side to it....it doesn't need any elaborate cooking apart from a pot of pasta. How easy to make a supper with it. A twirl of the spoon  and all is done. Easy, especially when the cooking muse is absent. My go to meal on Sundays and thank goodness my beloved likes pesto.

There are those who make their own pesto but alas, I am not one of them. Much easier to purchase a jar at the supermarket and since they have started to stock a vegan version, much easier. They do have a ' red ' pesto which also happens to be vegan, but is not Bob's favourite. I do tend to buy them more as it is a lot cheaper. Dried tomatoes and so forth...

Well, last week while shopping I noticed a basket of marked down items next to the till and a small jar of something exotic caught my eye. Gosh, a pesto at Penny's...what gives and why was it marked down ie. nobody liked it? I had time to look at the label and noticed that it was indeed a vegan type. Not by label but by ingredients. A pesto with Peach, Buckwheat and Ginger! Yes, I needed to try this.

Bob was less enthused when he heard peach and ginger but what could he do! So last night I suggested that I make us this particular pesto and half heartedly he agreed. The other choice would have been a pasta and tofu affair.

We both knew that we'd either love it or hate it...so, it tasted divine and Bob loves it. Wouldn't you know! Now it is his favourite version of pesto even surpassing Barilla's type. Slight problem being that we only have one more jar and seeing that it was marked down at Penny's, I suspect that we are the only ones who like it. They might not re-order more of it. Yikes, I might have to make my own version of it after all. Still, can't beat a pesto!


The two pesto....both nice but at the moment the one on the left is a clear favourite in our house.

Biggi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment