Saturday 12 September 2020

An Assault On The Senses.

The least of the midlife-crisis splurges.

Saturday, shopping day. Bob came with me to town this morning and not only to do groceries. As you know we have a well oiled routine and seamlessly flit between the various shops where we can get our staples. A drug store being the first on the list.

DM-Drogerie Markt has a lot of vegan staples from oats via flaxseed to peanut butter as well as all those essentials to keep us youthful. As I was hovering along the skincare aisle, Bob was off to explore the back aisle, a.k.a. the smelly lane. Yes, the perfume area which is filled to the rafters. How many smells can there be?

I was reading a label when I heard my husband call my name. Isn't it funny how attuned we are to our other halves? Even if they were to whisper our name we'd hear it. As I looked up I saw him walking towards me with both wrists held up in front of him;

" Boo, which smell do you prefer? "
after which he held up each wrist for me to smell. Not that I smelt anything through the thick mask I was wearing and I wasn't about to take it off in the middle of a possible corona hotspot. One arm smelled more potent than the other and I nodded to it;
" The left one. "
It was just a try out and not a buy although when we were back in the car Bob made me take another whiff of his wrists sans mask. Yikes, how much had my husband spritzed on? Both were so potent that when I was shopping at the next shop I could smell the scent clinging to me and as it was a macho cologone it garnered me a few odd looks from some of the men I was passing in the shop.

On the way home I was asking Bob where he would even have the opportunity to wear it...can't wear it to work and we don't go out often especially now due to corona. All my reasoning bore no fruit as Bob has made up his mind to get it next time we are in town. No if, when or buts.

Jolly good. I know the onset of a midlife-crisis when I see one and if all it takes is a bottle of potent cologne to hurtle through it I can count myself lucky. As it is his older brother seems to be going through it right now and his choice of splurge will be a big drum kit...just to be on the safe side I might talk Bob into getting two different lots of colognes and nix any thought of an earsplitting drum kit in the bud!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment