Tuesday 15 February 2022

Co-Driver, Moana Lisa Or Just Plain Harpy?

 The joy of spousal driving.


It seems to run in my family and dare I say it, in most families. Driving with one's spouse tends to incorporate aspects of hilarity bordering on insanity.

Who hasn't had a spouse sit next to them whilst driving? Never mind how old we might be, in the eyes of our loved ones we are mere beginners, ink still drying on our licences. Never mind how long we have successfully navigated the roads of life and car without mishap. No, none of that counts. We need to be reminded of what we might not be aware of;

             " You are too close to the side of the road. "

              " The traffic light is going to change. "

               "  You are driving way too fast. "

               " Can you see that car on the horizon? "

Oh the list is endless. The other day I had the opportunity to be taxied about by my parents and couldn't help but overhear similar comments flying from co-driver to driver. Goodness, scales fell from my eyes because I realized that I was exactly the same. Yes, the comments I at times eh, mumble quietly to Bob were almost identical to those I heard while being driven by my folks. Nature or nurture begs the question.

On the other hand, isn't it up to us to make sure no speeding fines are collected? Why would there be a 50 sign or more importantly, why should it be adhered to? I find myself as the needle being stuck on the album of co-drivers;

                 " Slow, slow, can't you see there is the 50 sign? "

Oh yes, I am a harpy of note when it comes to road signs but then again, getting a speeding fine isn't that great either...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment