Tuesday 22 February 2022

If Only Dogs Could Talk!

 The vagaries of communication.


The other morning Maxi had a slight oopsie. Well, it started very early after I had just woken up. His little footsteps shifted my awareness away from dream world to him. Gosh, I was so thrilled that for once he liked me enough to jump out of his basket and come to greet me. He usually does it for Bob! Yes, a slight bit of jealousy.

So, I did the usual coochy coo and went through to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. All of a sudden my peripheral took note of a dripping sound. Yikes, quick as a flash I raced through to the lounge and there the poor dear was, weeing on the floor in desperation. Bob was looking on, not quite sure how to handle it apart from telling me the obvious. Men. Anyway, I quickly grabbed some paper towels to sort out the worst while whipping up a confused dog and taking him outside in case more was to follow. And no, I didn't shout at him nor was I cross because after all it was my mistake at not listening to him. There I thought he wanted to have a cuddle when he actually asked to be taken outside!

Since that day I have acquired a habit of jumping up at the mere sound of his footfall. Even if he just wants to get some water. Yikes, I think I have taken him outside more than ever for him to do his stuff.

So this morning he came out of his basket once we were up, and went to Bob for a quick cuddle and then headed through to the entrance hall ( also where we keep his food bowl ) which spurned me on to get my coat and shoes.  I took his leash and harness off the shelve as per usual while telling him that it was time to go and peepee. Well, the minute he heard me lift the harness he turned around and sprinted back to the comforting safety of his basket. In fact, his little back legs almost overtook his front ones in his haste of evading a walk in a very cold pre-dawn.

Too cute and funny for words. He actually lay still as a mouse in his basket until he deemed it necessary for him to be taken outside. All eye contact was avoided, which makes me wonder whether he looks upon me as this mad woman who tends to drag him outside for long walks.... 

Life with pets, never boring, always wonderful and full of fun moments.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment