Friday 25 February 2022

Those Darn Forgotten Corners!

A tradesman comes to visit.


Those of you who know me, also know that any sight, mention or sniff of a tradesman coming by gets me to turbo clean the house. Well, that is the areas that said tradesman might be busy in.

Unexpectedly the oven had to be seen to and a service man came by this morning. The oven, the lounge, the bathroom and the kitchen got a quick once over and for good measure I had the curtains closed because too much daylight tends to shine a light upon forgotten cleaning projects. Yes, just being honest.

So, a fairly youngish chap came around and to be honest yet again, most people are young to me lately. Sign of the times. But he worked extremely precise and took his time. Good and I was silently congratulation myself on providing a clean home front when towards the end of the oven's service he needed a place to connect a water hose. More water had to be pumped into the oven system and just like that, my clean front crumbled.

First I showed him the kitchen tap but that wouldn't do and he bent down to peruse the piping under the sink. Goodness me whoever thinks of cleaning there! Eh, not me and I did feel the beginning of housewifely shame. But that tap wasn't up to the task either so then I showed him our bathroom sink, a sink I had freshly cleaned. Little did I know that connecting a hose meant dusty corners.

Yes, quick as a flash he honed in onto the tap in the far corner, the one used for the washing machine's water supply. A place I hadn't factored into my cleaning and a place that frankly I tend to overlook on a continuous basis. Clearly and apparently so. Hats off to the young man because he didn't raise an eyebrow and carried on with his task. The moment he headed to the lounge I was crouching behind the washing machine cleaning like mad.

When he finished topping up the water he took the end of the hose from the bathroom side off and laid it onto the shower floor. Wanting to help him, I picked up the hose and let the water drip out. Big mistake as he told me that this had caused all the water to flow out on the other side. Onto the floor. Oh no. What next. Off I dashed with cloth in hand, cringing at the dust balls unearthed by the water. Serves me right.

Well, the only upside to this day was the fact that the oven has had a service and will heat our house for the foreseeable future and that long forgotten corners of our house have gotten a once over....

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment