Monday 8 March 2021

Almost A Feast For Our Birds.

A Monday morning in Oberwart.


I hadn't planned on going into town today but Bob wanted me to pick up his glasses and thus the weekly shopping day was moved one forward. Not a bad idea as town was sort of quiet which was magic for my parking spots. Found one every time.

On the way to town I made a mental shopping list and also a mental shopping map. What, where and why! My main aim is to avoid the shopping center as there are just too many temptations. Apart from the supermarkets I did most of my shopping at locally owned shops. Felt good to support local until I stumbled upon a sour-face and mannered and shop owner.

The healthy shop was great, ditto for the glasses but getting Bob's tin of tobacco was a lesson in how not to serve customers. The owner was bolshy and almost revolutionary as she didn't wear a mask. I kept a long distance but was seething on the inside...with her and me. She shouldn't be in her shop sans mask ( once before the same problem ) and I should have just dropped everything and left. Ah, but one is so conditioned to play nice!

Anyway, the Indian spice shop down the road was a show in contrast. The owner ( masked of course ) was friendly, helpful and happy to have me spend money at his shop. He should teach that other lady how to win and influence people.

Anyway, next stop was the pet shop. Mausi needed her special food ( no supermarket fodder for her ) but while I was in there I stumbled upon a shelf filled with delights for wild birds. Oh, such nice stuff. Peanut butter jars ( apparently one puts them out as is and the birds go crazy ), oats mixed with peanuts, insects and fat coated seeds. Magic. I stocked up taking my time reading the various labels and ingredients, eventually making it to the till.

I was pleased as punch to do good for our avian lodgers until I found out that today the shop's credit card machine was broken. Cash only which of course I didn't have on me. The sales lady was quite keen to send me around the block to an ATM, but as this was close to the major traffic circle, I put my foot down and my purchases back. Birds will have to wait another week for luxuries while eating peanuts and sunflower seeds. 

It is going to be strange once we are back to normal. Shopping without worrying about getting too close to others or about which shop is or isn't going to be trading will be a huge adjustment for most of us. So many are shopping online, and it has been an easy way to buy things, but somehow we mustn't forget that brick and mortar shops feed many a family...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment