Monday 15 March 2021

The Elusive Hunt For A Simple Pedometer.

 A step by step affair.


I had one years ago but when it started to blink strange number I threw it away. Should have kept it because now all I want is a pedometer after hearing a professor talk about the panacea that is simple walking. The more the better.

Bob had a look on the mighty Amazon and of course they sell plenty of them but I wanted to support local and have it sooner rather than later. This morning I walked all over trying to find a step -counter. Here and there, this shop and that one with no avail. 

Honestly, one would think I asked for the moon the way shop assistants looked at me. I felt as if I was doing a stint of charades the way I had to use my hands to show what I meant by a pedometer / step-counter.

Eventually I was directed to a sports shop ( another estimated 500 steps! ) and felt jolly hopeful that this would yield results. Should have known...

      " Hi, I am looking for a simple step-counter or pedometer. "

      " Ah yes, another elderly gentleman wanted one the other day. Let me have a look. "

Well, that put me in my place and age category. Another elderly indeed! She went to a computer screen in the middle of the shop to scroll down the category of pedometer. There were oodles of them. All varieties of the kind I don't want. Every single one was connected to a smartphone. Does anyone still operate without a smartphone? Does everything need to be recorded for eternity or shared on social media?

The sad fact of it is that at times the only option left is Amazon. Try as one might to shop offline, they do have the goods.

Walking is such a universal cure-all and the more the better which to my mind can be achieved by keeping track of daily steps taken. I'll let you know how it works out...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment