Saturday 13 March 2021

Raw Oats, Not Just For Horses!

 A new breakfast favourite.


Who knew that proper raw oats tasted so good? Nutty and oh so more'ish. For a long time I thought that rolled oats were raw oats but not so. Rolled oats have been heated up and of course rolled flat. They are still extremely healthy and tasty but the real raw kernels take the cake in flavour and nutrition.

The raw oats are mainly fed to horses and health-mad people like me. Eating raw oats takes a bit of work as they need to be soaked overnight if you want to put them into your muesli bowl and often the hardest bit is remembering to do so.

Eating them the next morning is an adjustment because they are quite chewy but incredibly tasty. A sort of nutty taste sensation. Knowing that it is the pinnacle of nutrition doesn't hurt either.

When it is cold outside or on those days I realize that I have forgotten to soak them overnight, I simply put the oats into a blender and make oatmeal for a quick porridge. Yes, five to seven minutes tops and a creamy porridge is ready.

Not every shop carries these raw oats ( should perhaps look at feed emporiums ) so I was happy as can be when I spotted a big packet of them at a health shop in Oberwart. Packaged in environmentally friendly paper, cheap and locally grown.

Yes, they sell oats from a farmer in Schachendorf ( about 10 km from us ). It isn't often that I get to buy so close to source and I must tell you that it feels great. No long transport, money spent locally and a farmer who gets to make a profit without having to give most of it to numerous middle men.

If you ever get the chance, try these proper oats and see if it also reminds you of a childhood spent at stables feeding horses with just those type of oats...


My oats...


















So happy about supporting a farmer so close to home...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment