Thursday 4 March 2021

Making A Chocolate Affair.

 An attempt at a vegan ready made chocolate cake.


I saw the packet on Tuesday whilst at Drogerie Markt. A mixture for a chocolate cake that only needs a bit of oil and soda water. At first I poo-pooed it-how could I make a processed cake like that?-but then, I thought to myself that it would be an affair of note to buy all the individual ingredients to make a vegan chocolate cake and, why not try this one. Just this once.

The plan was to surprise Bob on the weekend with it. A sort of divine aroma wafting through our house beckoning him to the kitchen, but then the weather interfered. For some reason the cold came back today and with it a slightly miserable and grey sky. Weather that makes one feel anything but cheerful and weather that called for a change of baking plans.

As we speak the cake has emerged ready and willing to be devoured from our oven and even I can notice the wonderful chocolate aroma permeating our house. In looks it has a lot to be desired for and doesn't resemble any of my old homemade cakes. In fact, I hope at least that what it lacks in height it has in taste. Yikes it looks more like a chocolate slice of bread.

So far I have withstood the urge to try a bit of it. No, that will be Bob's treat when he gets home just now. I find that I enjoy making little treats ( no, not always such decadent ones ) for him when he gets home from work, Not supper, but a sort of snack to morph from work mode to home mode. 

I had visions of packing a few nice big slices for his lunch tomorrow so that he could have offered his workmates some vegan cake...well, if they saw how spindly it is, they would quite rightly make more fun of our vegan adventure...


Having tasted it a moment ago, I have to say that it tastes much better than it looks...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment