Tuesday 23 March 2021

Saving The World One Jacket & Wilted Vegetable At A Time.

The many aspects of second-hand.


There is nothing nicer than to do one's bit to stop climate change. An easy one is shopping at second-hand stores or accepting hand-me-downs. Once we get over our ' oh no, I could never wear someone else's stuff ' the hard bit is done. 

About nine year's ago I was given a quality winter jacket of The North Face variety ( a hand-me-down ) that is as warm and comfortable as can be. I love it and wear it every day in winter. My walking jacket and because I love it so much it sets me apart from most others. They tend to wear two or three different winter jackets per season and often I catch them speculating why I still wear the same jacket year in and year out.  If only they knew how many resources get used ( and therefore wasted )  for a jacket alone...is it any wonder that the weather is so out of kilter? Floods and wildfires don't happen just for the sake of it. There is always a cause.

My other new find is a beige tweed jacket from the Caritas shop. It cost 2,5 euros and is absolutely divine. In fact as you might have guessed...I wear it all the time and I have seen speculation in folks's eyes about the state of my finances. At least everyone knows that it's me!

Today was another milestone in saving the planet. At Lidl I managed to get two of those rescue boxes at 3 euros each. One for mum, one for us. There were so many goodies in it that I was thrilled to bits at my purchase and as I was standing at the till, the couple behind me looked enviously at the variety of this box. When they found out that it only costs so little, they were amazed and cross they hadn't  seen it earlier. Next time, they told me, they will buy it too.

               Stupidly I have forgotten to take a picture, but our box contained the following:

                   A net of red onions, a big white radish, a bunch of small red radishes, two organic                                     aubergines, a yellow pepper, red  & green pepper, twenty mini bananas,
                   two punnets of mushrooms ( 500g each ),  

The world can be such an overwhelming place (  especially now with corona etc ) that focusing on the small and easily done things makes all the difference. One step at a time makes me feel better and hopefully helps in changing the trajectory we are on...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment