Friday 2 November 2018

All Atwitter No More...

A rather welcome change.

It happened last week. My routine of checking in on my twitter account encountered a stumbling block. A huge one as I had been locked out of my own account. At first it felt horrid to be excluded from the twitter scene, then a bit of anger emerged with me mumbling about the audacity of it. Never have I clicked on anything suspect nor posted of the same ilk.

Locked it was and the first two days did feel a bit strange almost like a void. Perusing the goings on in my twitter stream had become a habit. A time consuming one. They did send me an email of how to unlock my account but was it worth it? Giving more personal information in order to be part of this dubious news avenue which somehow holds the power to sway elections didn't feel right anymore. Yes, I have decided to stay locked out.

Honestly, what a welcome change and what a bonus to have one claw of the cyber sphere unhooked. Of course I am still online quite a lot of the time but now I have recouped a bit of freedom in order to do things I loved doing ten years ago. Reading being foremost. I am too scared to put a definitive time reference on my online excursions but like almost anybody else I know that it is still too much. Collectively we've sold our soul to the internet and sadly haven't realized it yet.

Will it last, my non twitter lifestyle? Should they unlock my account again, would I be drawn back in? Hopefully my off-line hobbies will have had enough time to rewire my brain back a decade or so.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment