Monday 17 August 2020

A Simple Salad, Still The Best.

Lunchtime favourites.

One gets quite adapt at keeping a plant-based kitchen. Most of the time there are batches of cooked beans whiling their fate away in the fridge among numerous tupperwares filled with leftover rice, noodles or tofu. In fact, a vegan fridge holds many a surprise and plenty of choices. Contrary to popular belief.

Recently I stumbled across a salad dressing recipe that when I read about it I kind of thought
' what's so special? ' but upon trying it out, I was and am hooked. Eating healthy salads, ie salads filled with all kinds of vegetables and beans still needs a touch of fat in order to activate the plant goodness within the greens and one of the best way to do that is to include walnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or flax seeds. The recipe I read about went along the lines of;

  • vinegar
  • handful of walnuts
  • garlic
  • salt and pepper etc
  • water
  • nutritional yeast, if on hand
As I had everything at home I tried it by blitzing it all in a small blender. My gosh, it tasted out of this world. That was the first time and often the only time one likes a new discovery, yet when I made it the following day it tasted just as divine. Even today, when I made Bob a salad with this dressing it didn't disappoint. He actually told me how nice the salad tasted. High praise indeed!

As much as I like an olive oil and vinegar dressing, for the moment it has been relegated to a standby until I grow tired of this new culinary discovery. I must say that since becoming vegan I have expanded my taste horizon and added some tasty dishes to my repertoire.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment