Tuesday 4 August 2020

Magical And Perhaps Medicinal Weeds.

Dandelion and co.

Dandelions came to my awareness today by the mere deed of having listened to a podcast about its wonderful versatility. Obviously I had been aware of dandelions for ages and mostly when I have tried to free our vegetable garden of it. Shouldn't have bothered. To think of all the goodness I have ripped from the ground!

The powerful benefits that a mere dandelion has makes sense when one considers that it has the strength to even push past the cracks in a concrete slab. I had heard of drinking dandelion tea and have done so but the eating of it in salads etc never crossed my mind. Until lunch today. Upon listening to the podcast, I went outside and snipped odd bits of dandelion from the lawn. Hope I snipped the right blades...our lawn is a bit woolly and wild.

The salad, which was a combination of brown rice, black beans, tofu, rocket, chard and dandelion tasted fantastic and now, an hour later I suddenly have more energy. Apparently the little dandelion has the ability to clear energy blockages and give us back our strength. The dandelion tasted bitter but in a pleasant nutty way and I can't wait to go and dig out a root of one tomorrow as that should even taste better. Worth a try.

In our current euphoria of trying to buy many a super-food, isn't it ironic that one is growing in most of our gardens free of charge? One that most of us have spent time and dare I say chemical help ( not us ) to get rid of it. We are a bit bizarre and I would love to find out when we as a society eschewed the use of herbs and spices to treat our various ailments? The nuns of yore used them successfully for centuries and who is to say if they or conventional modern medicine was more successful.

Dandelion / Myrrh: Dandelion was prescribed in Medieval times to treat colds, boils, ulcers, dental problems, itching, jaundice and gallstones.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment