Tuesday 18 August 2020

A Rainy Tuesday.

A day filled with rain and kindness.

Yesterday afternoon the sky resembled the entrance to hell. Dark, dodgy and frightening. Although one does wonder if the entrance to hell isn't more of a fiery red ring of fire! Well, back to our sky and the sheer force it dislodged from above. Hail and severe rain came our way. Not what one wants to have when the roof isn't quite fixed yet but thankfully the repairs we did held up well.

The rain we've had in the last few weeks has been so vast that most of the fields have given up their attempt to soak up the water and instead just let it run off into roads and yards. This morning the rain decided to take a nap and with it I took the gap to go for a walk. Awful to see the destruction water can leave behind but I think it is better to have too much rain than not enough. Droughts aren't for the faint of heart!

Anticipating the resumption of rain, I took my raincoat along and set off. Clever move as the rain started up again in earnest half way through my walk. What else could I do but to carry on? In any case, a bit of rain isn't going to kill me and after the sweltering heat of late, the coolness of encountering raindrops was rather welcome at first.

After about twenty minutes of engaging with the rain I must have looked like a drowned rat because one of the locals turned his car around to offer me a lift. Gosh, I was so pleased that I was speechless but quickly recovered and thanked him for his offer although I declined it. Imagine the mess I'd make in his car? But he made my day and with a cheery wave I carried on the last leg of my walk buoyed along by the happy thought that there are still caring people about.

Most of the fields are laden with water.
Sadly, the hail came down rather hard on these corn fields.
The ' river ' has mostly receded back to a little stream but you can still see the imprint of earlier on.
The slugs are having a field day!!! Hundreds of them on the move.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment