Tuesday 11 August 2020

We Love Blueberries.

As versatile as they are tasty.

Now and again I will buy a punnet at the supermarket but as they are so expensive, I have resorted to buying the frozen variety. Less dear and much easier to use.

Reading such a lot of health literature made sure that I was aware of blueberries and their many health benefits. Yes, they are one of the superfoods and quite rightly so. Well, for me at least, frozen blueberries are just as good as the fresh punnet at the supermarket. Of course buying fresh organic berries is a whole different kettle of fish. Obviously I would prefer organic but they are too expensive. Frozen it is.

Now during these hot summer weeks I put a handful of frozen berries into Bob's breakfast smoothie along with oats, banana, flax seed, walnuts and soy milk. They make the smoothie cold and colourful. My main aim is to give Bob a lot of antioxidants to set him up for the day. Being healthy isn't just a three week stint a few times a year...it is a three meals a day deal.

Lately both of us have become addicted to having blueberry ice cream after dinner or after work. So easy...I throw frozen blueberries, a banana ( frozen or not ) and some plant milk into the blender and blitz it until everything is the consistency of frozen yoghurt. Oh my god, so divine especially on a hot afternoon. Ice cream doesn't have to be unhealthy and in this form it is a good way to eat plenty of fruit each day.

A few moments ago when Bob came home from work, hot and sweaty and tired, I made him a blueberry and pear ice cream. Just what the doctor ordered and the best part was that the pears were from our garden, homegrown and organic. Life, wonderfully simple and thus awesome...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment