Thursday 6 August 2020

Vanity, Does It Every Stop?

Oh, glorious mane...

It's been a while since I visited this lady, but now and again I see her in her garden when I deliver food to her neighbour. Always glad when I see her doing well and yesterday I noticed her mowing her lawn with one of those old fashioned powerless mowers. You know, the one with the curved blades that needs to be pushed about. Nothing spectacular there until you realize that she is over eighty. Brave.

As I was masked to the hilt I quickly ran over to say hello. Easy when the mowers is quiet but still had to run a bit behind her before she noticed me. Then I stayed with mask and a two meter distance. So difficult to have a conversation with a mask when the other party is a bit hard of hearing, but with a bit of shouting it went well.

Being of the trade I straightaway noticed that her hair had been done recently. Tinted and cut. As she knows that I used to work in a Salon, I took the liberty and asked her why she had her hair done in these dangerous corona times. Her hair looked nice, but still what danger! Even I had stopped visiting her due to corona and the fear I might inadvertently pass the virus on to her.

" Oh, you've had your hair done. It looks very nice but weren't you worried about the virus? "

" I couldn't stand seeing myself in the mirror. All grey and such long hair. If it hadn't been for an appointment with the doctor, I wouldn't have gone. How could I let the doctor see me like that? "

Well, nice one. She saw how worried I was about her having taken chances and explained how extra careful her hairdresser had been. From having to wash her hands thoroughly before entering the shop to having her mask on at all times.

Do we ever stop being vain? Even I am taking a tad bit of strain with my grayish mane, a mane that last saw a touch of colour after Christmas. At least I am in good company...that dishy doctor on CNN, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, is growing his hair out and I take it that he isn't willing to take the risk of going to a hairdresser. Caution, nothing wrong with it. Bob of course will stick to his short style now that he has discovered another one of my hidden talents. Although he is getting rather cheeky and demanding a shape here and a step there...going to have to charge him soon!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment