Wednesday 28 July 2021

My First Impression Was Correct!

A change of route on the cards.


A while ago I made the mistake of stopping to talk to a chap up in the Weinberg. I like to chat with people because let's face it, if one doesn't one never gets an idea of who they really are. Everyone can look nice and pretty, but not everyone can talk nice and pretty! So, since that one stop for a chat, the man once or twice  did join my walk ( unasked! ) and almost walked the whole way. Not in any way shape or form nefarious but still, not cool. 

So like a good citizen, I changed my route and tried like crazy to avoid running into him. The once or twice that I did, I made sure to come up with an excuse why I couldn't stop and from then on we took to a short greeting on those times our paths crossed.

So yesterday I ran into him. In full stride I was prepared to shout a friendly greeting in passing, but not so.
He stopped to ask me why I always walk alone, to which I quickly replied that I like walking alone! Shoo I knew where that might have headed and it didn't take long before he asked me whether that man he once saw walking with me was my husband and if so, was my husband retired! 

Yikes, the first thing that came to my mind was;

        " Jeez, do I look that old?  " to which he replied, 

        " No, but your husband has a full head of grey hair and by the by, is he Turkish? "

Unbelievable, what nonsense. Before turning away to carry on walking I told him that my husband worked all day in the vineyard. He knew he had offended us, but apart from a curt nod I carried on.

When Bob came home later I told him the story and before I knew what had happened, Bob had shaved and I was standing with the clippers ready to cut his hair. Bob wanted as much of the offending grey gone as possible not realizing that it suits him. He gets better looking with every year and is far from looking like a retiree.

As I said in the intro, only by chatting with people does one get to know their true colours and I am pleased with myself for having had the right instinct about that silly man...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment