Monday 19 July 2021

How Many Glasses Are Enough?

 The de-cluttering muse has taken hold...


We all have them. Shelves full of a variety of glass ware either bought, eh borrowed or given. Wine glasses, soda glasses, champagne flutes, Schnapps glasses, beer glasses and the old faithful, the spritzer glasses. I bet you anything that like me you haven't used all of them before. Don't we tend to use our favourite glass for everything?

Having  shelf after shelf of glassware in our cupboard might look impressive but is awfully  impractical. Dust collectors and space thieves. The other day I saw a very aptly named YouTube video;
      "  I tried Swedish death cleaning and it worked. "....yes I know, rather ghoulish but so to the point. The crux of it is that we keep, collect and buy stuff ( such as glasses ) which we never use and once we head to our celestial home it gets thrown out by our kids. They don't want it even though we might have laboriously and conscientiously collected it over decades. No, much better to clear the decks in the here and now thus having a bit of breathing space in our cupboards and life.

Today I started on my first round of de-cluttering and isn't the first step always the hardest? Yesterday in a bout of spousal honesty ( he wouldn't even have noticed most of what would have been thrown out ) I told Bob my intention and surprisingly didn't get any opposition. Bob loves to hoard stuff, and actually me too. Jeans, t-shirts, shoes, glasses!, magazines & socks  which I know he wouldn't even notice if it were gone. 

Yes, he said, go ahead but don't throw out my old rugby jersey! As if I would dare...Once we made a rule to throw out ( goodwill ) an item when we bought a new one but like all good intentions it went by the wayside. Our wardrobes are full with clothes we don't wear. Ever. Of course it is jolly difficult to tear ourselves away from an old faithful wardrobe staple such as a pair of jeans that doesn't fit us anymore. And when it does  ( on the off-chance ) it is going to be sadly out of fashion. So what is the point? Well, throwing out one item a week is a good start and by the end of a year it could add up to 52 items...

So, I have started on my glassware and have wrapped a box full for the goodwill and it feels better already. At least I haven't just moved them from the kitchen into our barn for those 
' just in case ' moments when a bus full of thirsty friends and family come to stay...Day one done.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment