Wednesday 4 December 2019

Making Vegan Sushi.

And the repertoire grows.

The other day I watched someone make some vegan sushi and thought I would give it a try. It looked easy enough and with enough practice mine might look like it too. The beauty of this sort of sushi is that apart from the nori rolls, all one needs is left over rice -stodgy is best and mine ends up like that in any case- and whatever vegetables on hand. Brilliant and tasty treats.

While Bob was away last week I made one batch and loved it. When he got back I made another batch which he only loved after trying it. Funny, when I asked him if he wanted some sushi he straight away declined thinking it would be nothing like what we eat at our local Chinese. Never mind, I made enough for two and cunningly asked him to try one piece...suffice to say that he loved it and had most of the other sushi pieces. Yes, a culinary winner in my growing repertoire.

Yesterday there was some tasty brown rice left over, avo too and I thought why not make a bit of sushi for Bob's lunch bag. An addition to his normal sandwiches!
I made two nori rolls ( about 8 pieces ) of rice, avocado and vegan mayo which looked amateurish but nevertheless a change from the normal. The only other thing I put in for these pieces was ample soy sauce for dipping.

Naturally I couldn't wait for Bob to come home and to find out how they had tasted and if his work colleagues had tried some. Turns out that Bob had taken out his container with sushi and as most of his work friends are non-sushi & non-vegan types, it attracted some attention. Bob being Bob, he offered it around for them to try.

" Here, try a bit of this. "

" Oh no! I wont touch anything that is vegan! "
yes, a true carnivore there...to which my darling husband replied:
" Oh, really? Then why are you eating those three dry bread rolls?
They are flour, water and salt and therefore VEGAN! "
... now that would have been a real Kodak moment!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment