Wednesday 11 December 2019

Thoughtful Consumption.

Another way to help the planet and our wallet.

Marriages do have fun dynamics. Take clothes for example. More his clothes or rather his jerseys and jackets. Makes us fairer lot rather lucky to not have to share our clothes.

Bob has two jerseys that he bought a few years ago. The first one of these, a nice brown v-neck had to do a lengthy sentence at the back of his side of the wardrobe and hadn't seen the light of day for at least six months. The proper season it should have been worn. Well, I tucked that little tidbit away in my mind and pounced the following year.

Winter, layers and nothing better than a simple v-neck for it. Buying one would be silly and thus I dug out his forgotten jersey and wore it for that winter. Bob didn't even notice...until the year after that one. Suddenly he wanted it back and had the cheek to mumble;

" You took my jersey and I had nothing to wear. "
Worthy of a violin! Well, well, far be it from me to take his stuff ( what are wives for though? ) and with that, I neatly folded it back onto his shelf. You guessed it. Languished and forgotten it has been except for one outing to Denmark.

On to the second item of Bob's clothing that I've been eyeing for some time. Again, it has been a prisoner of the third shelf and the odd time I dared to take it out for a spin, Bob put in a veto along the lines of me taking his stuff. Well, today I finally took it over ( suits me better anyway ) and when I wore it in front of him he hardly noticed but eventually said that he never liked its collar thus never wore it. Done and dusted, jersey has finished its shelf sentence for good.

But what I finally realized this afternoon was the fact that sharing our clothes ( well those that fit both of us ) is not a shifty trick but in fact another way to save our climate. One less item produced, an owned item actually used and more money in the bank...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment