Monday 12 July 2021

My First Successful Attempt At Grooming Our Dog.

New horizons.


The afternoon started out as any other. A walk to further along any pressing matter for Mr Maxi. As I said before, he doesn't have an indoor toilet he can just hop into. Off we went and after about five minutes, success. Any dog owner's dream, knowing no surprises are in store for the night!

But, a little mishap ensued. Maxi being a Maltese, he is blessed with white-ish fluffy hair, everywhere. This afternoon the hair clashed with the business and you can guess the rest. A sticky affair. Now ordinarily, if it were to happen with Mausi, I would sort it out straightaway as she is extremely  docile and doesn't mind me helping in her cleaning routine. Maxi is another matter entirely. Remember, the last time I tried to help clean the side of his hind leg, his teeth made me see the error of my ways.

All the way home my mind was going through all types of scenarios of how to clean up his behind. No way would I let him loose in our lounge without being cleaned. Once we were back home, I straightaway heralded him into our bathroom. He knew something was up because he went limp and I had to drag him like a floor cloth. Yikes, I thought, not a good omen.

One thing I have learned with him is that if I explain it to him and let him sniff whatever I want to use on him, he seems okay. Armed with a handful of paper towels, cleaning gloves and enormous courage I went ahead.

Surprisingly, he let me. A few iffy turns but on the whole he let me clean him in his delicate region without so much as a warning snap. Brilliant, our dog is learning to trust us. Even when I had to resort to using scissors for parts of it, he didn't blink an eyelid. What a star!!!!

Now that I have succeeded that far, I might as well make a plan to bath him and trim his fur in other places...worth a try as the alternative would be to pay 50 euros at the doggy parlour...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment