Thursday 22 July 2021

Trying To Outsmart A Couple Of Pets Is Far From Easy.

So much for being the adult.



I had a plan. Don't most stories start like it? This morning I had planned to take our new cat lodger to the vet in order to be scanned for a micro chip. All was ready for the trip. The carry case ( one of those cat carriers with the lid on top ) had nice bedding in it and all that was missing was the cat.

She tends to follow me wherever I go and was investigating this carry case in the middle of the driveway with interest but when I picked her up ( still very docile and loving ) put her into the middle of the case wanting to close the lid, all hell broke loose and so too the cat. No one got injured but the cat high tailed it to safety somewhere in our barn....not been seen again for ages. Clearly, a trip to the vet was out of the question.

Maxi has been scratching himself a lot lately which clearly was a warning for me to get him some flea muti. Might as well go to the vet after all I thought, and stock up on dog and cat flea medicine. From experience I know that those drops bought in the supermarket hardly dent any flea population in a cat's fur. It needs to be from the vet. Which I got this morning for all two of them.

The vet arrogantly told me where to put the stuff, despite me mentioning that Mr Maxi wasn't too fond of being medically cared for. In fact, I don't think he gave a hoot, even going so far as to opine that woman owners are the cause of little dogs to be a bit overly fond of nipping at all and sundry. He might have a point, but that doesn't help me, does it?

When I got back home I tried the dog first mainly because the cat was still missing! A tiny tube to be squeezed onto his neck. Two or three seconds at most but therein lies the rub. He must have a sixth sense because as soon as my hand hovered over his neck, he started to twist his head baring his little teeth at the same time. Yikes, what now. Should I be firm and shout especially after the vet's opinion about the weak willed rules of female owners or should I just let it go? Still deciding on that one and for the moment the easiest option will be to wait for Bob to come home!!!

As for the cat outside, if she ever trusts me again, I will have to put the contents of the other vial onto her neck as well. If only they understood that it is going to make them better and stop the horrid itching caused by fleas. Gosh, life with pets is never dull and makes for good stories.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment