Sunday 26 December 2021

And Suddenly It Was Cold.

 Appreciating the luxury of warmth.


Both of us were so distracted from our ordinary daily routine due to having nice and long family conversations all over the world ( marvel of technology ) that we clean forgot to feed a new bag of pellets into our oven. Yes, you guessed it our evening had a bite of coldness about it.

We only realized at about half past five and thought it was too late to put the oven on again. What difference would one missed burn make? It was almost time to head for bed in any case. Yes, winters equate to much earlier bedtimes and have nothing in common with the youthful elan unearthed by  summer.

By about seven o'clock we noticed the chill. Both of us got jerseys and sat watching tv the way we did in our youth...with socks, blankets and hot chocolate. It can be done but a warm house is something special after all.

Mausi didn't mind so much as she has a way of wrangling her way under a warm blanket but Maxi was a different story. He can't burrow under our blankets and the one I put over him in his basket tends  to be tossed aside ( maybe not on purpose ) once he changes position.  When we went through to the bedroom and left him in the lounge, I did worry whether he was warm enough.

The warm duvet and blanket must have caused me to fall asleep quickly until midnight when all of a sudden a voice boomed out of the dark and into my subconscious.

                               " Turn on your side, you are snoring!!!!! "

Clearly he must have mistaken me for Mausi, as eh, I don't snore but then again when I saw Bob put the spare pillow over part of his head, I couldn't deny or ignore my audible breathing. Going back to sleep ( for me at least ) was out of the question so I headed through to the lounge with Mausi in tow.

Just as well I did because poor Maxi was uncovered and in my mind at least, shivering from the cold. Thankfully I could cover him up again that is until he tossed about during a lively dream of running after rabbits. The rest of my night saw me get up a few times to cover him up again much to the charging of Miss Mausi who didn't like to be woken up and moved from her warm place on the blanket.

What our whole ' oven adventure ' brought home to me was how incredible fortunate we are to have a warm house to live in. There are so many people all over the world who have to endure the ugly side of winter without the modern comforts that we have. And yes, first thing this morning we fed our oven and had a nice warm morning not long after it sprang to life at seven a.m.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment