Monday 20 December 2021

Nurse Biggi On Call...

 Little Maxi was feeling poorly last night.


In the middle of the night I picked up on Maxi and his troubles. A sort of sixth sense woke me up and rightly so as the boy was half sitting half standing with his head bowed lethargically. Along with a melody of sounds coming from his stomach! Not something that bodes well.

Believe me, I was instantly alert and got up to see to him. He just stood there looking poorly and very sad. The noises emitted by his stomach made me hasten to the front door in order to put on a warm coat. Bear in mind it was just after midnight and icy cold outside. Once Maxi heard me putting on my coat he trotted to me and stood to have his leash put on. Yes, a sure sign that he needed to go.

Off we went into the cold night. Me in my striped summer p.j.'s and Bob's crocs. No time for sock or proper shoes and in any case, I didn't want to wake up Bob by getting socks etc. As to be expected, our loving feral cat was lingering and happy to see us so early. Gosh, he clung so close to Maxi and kept giving him little nudges of encouragement and support.

A few meters along and no go. Maxi kept on standing still waiting for something. With forethought I had taken extra poop bags but even though I made him walk repeatedly up and down, thankful that no car drove past to witness my bedhead and p.j.'s, we had to call it a night and go back inside...

The duvet had just warmed me up when Maxi again trotted to the door and just stood dejectedly while his stomach gurgled like mad. Nothing for it but to repeat the whole event. Again, no success apart from a cat being ecstatic to have us there again. Last night we repeated this walkies routine three times alas  without any result. Gosh, it is awful to have a pet feel sick and not know how to help him. Can't give him a cup of chamomile tea or a hot water bottle to relieve his discomfort,can I?

Eventually he agreed to be taken for a longer walk at half past six but even that was taken without the usual elan. Breakfast wasn't touched either which made Bob and I extremely worried. Any attempts at cuddling him were met with a decidedly angry attempt at snapping at us, which didn't help at all.

Thankfully about two hours later he was  more his old self again and even had a few bites to eat plus a happier mien. Just like any of us feeling poorly, he just needed to be left alone in peace to get better...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment